Don't dream, when you can't make it real. They're only fictions anyway - Moddi, A Sense of Grey

Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance, in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance, when you're perfectly free - Rumi

Oct 20, 2011

Its The Worst Darn Stuff I've Ever Seen; I Like It.

Today, I went out with a friend to buy smokes and the shop owner looked at us like we'd just told him we had a penis or something. Yes, I said penis. I, a woman from the so called Islamic Republic of Pakistan, knows what a penis is. 
Who are you trying to fool?

You know what? I also know all about the birds and the bees. 


So what's the big deal? We asked for cigarettes, not a lap dance. I hate this society with its double standards of what is acceptable for men and women and what is not. I'm not saying men and women are exactly the same (and thank God for that). But there are some things you just can't tell me I can't do just because I'm a woman. And this country of pseudomaulvis who think they've got it all figured out and will read ayats from the Quran thinking, "I'll just bullshit stuff out of my ass. So what if I don't even understand Arabic."

And I doubt that there is a single ayat from the Quran which specifically states that women shouldn't smoke. Or that women who do smoke are morally corrupt. What does that even mean? Do men who smoke behave differently from women who do it? If men smoke, they'll still have rainbows coming out of their behinds, but women will probably smoke their way into some poor, unsuspecting man's bed?
This society needs some serious reassessment of its moral codes.
And while we wait for that to happen, how about that ciggy eh?


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Why are women labelled sluts or according to fat aunties "badi out larkiyan hain" like wtf dude? I'm not saying I support it for men or women but don't call women degrading names just because you saw her smoke and know nothing else about her.

    ReplyDelete