Don't dream, when you can't make it real. They're only fictions anyway - Moddi, A Sense of Grey

Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance, in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance, when you're perfectly free - Rumi

Oct 30, 2011

To Be Immortal

There is a poem by Mary Frye which I recently heard. It is probably one of the most emotional and moving poems I have heard in a while. Her inspiration for it came from a German Jewish woman, Margaret. Her mother died in Germany and she was not allowed to visit her mother because of Hitler and his anti-Semitism movement. When Margaret heard of her mother's death, she said to Frye that she was not even able to stand at her mother's grave and cry. That's when Frye came up with the verses I wanted to share with all of you. So if any of you have lost a loved one, I hope you find comfort in Mary's words. I hope that you are able to feel the souls of your loved ones in everything around you and in effect, immortality.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

No comments:

Post a Comment